Encouraging Customers to Save Water During Drought is No. 1 Priority
Our Water Wise Ordinance is in effect all year round, and includes: 1) No spray irrigation between the hours of 10am and 5pm. 2) No spraying down hardscapes, driveways, sidewalks, pathways, etc. 3) No irrigation leaks, run-off or overspray.
Here are three ways to stabilize or reduce your water bill:
1. Check for Leaks
Use the Departments free home dye strips to test your toilets to see if they are leaking from the flapper (this can be a silent leak).
If you like, call the SVWD for a Water Wise House Call free for all customers. House Visits take about an hour and include free water saving devices. Call 438-2363 to schedule.
2. Use the SVWD Water Use Forecaster
See how much water you are using with each fixture and appliance. You can also use it to anticipate your next bill or create a water budget. Your bill now has a bar graph that shows you how much water you’ve used in the last two years. You can log onto your account and look at your historical water use as far back as 1997.
3. Take Advantage of our Water-saving Rebates
These include washers, toilets and now- six landscaping rebates- lawn and impervious pavement removal, and installation of drip irrigation, smart irrigation controllers, graywater or rainwater harvesting!
“Rebate” (Credit) Program Terms and Procedures
The SVWD is offering help to meet this challenge by increasing turf and irrigation rebates and giving away and installing free toilets that flush more than 1.6 gpf (gallons per flush). Email the Water Use Efficiency Coordinator at Lravinale@svwd.org
- Pre-inspection or prior application must be scheduled with district staff to verify need and installation for all landscape bill credits. Toilets, urinals and washers do not need a pre-inspection. The SVWD reserves the right to deny credits/”rebates” without inspection or proper application.
- Devices must be purchased and installed no more than 90 days prior to submitting application. Mail, fax or drop off your completed application along with receipt(s) to the SVWD.
- Receipts must accompany rebate credit application after devices are installed.
- All “rebates” are given as account credits toward the subsequent water bill after submission. No reimbursement checks are issued. (We use both terms, as “rebates” are commonly used for credits.)
- All retrofits cover materials only- no labor is credited.
- Credits are applied to the account holder associated with the service address where the replacement was made. If you are a property owner where the water bill is in your tenant’s name, the credit will be applied to your tenant’s account. If you pay the water bill for your tenants, the credit will be applied to your account.
- Washing Machine Residential (up to $100 / Commercial up to $200)
- Turf Replacement ($.50 sq/ft of lawn replaced
- Drip or Other Low Volume Irrigation ($.20 per square foot)
- Graywater Materials ($75 per fixture installed: laundry, tub, shower,)
- Urinal ($50 lo efficiency to hi 1gpf / $100 replace w/waterless)
- Toilet (Up to $100 to replace 3.5-5 gal/flush with 1.28 -. 8)
- Impermeable Hardscape Replacement ($1.00 sq/ft- see back)
- Smart/Weather-Based Irrigation Controller (up to $100)
- Rainwater Cistern/Tank/Barrel Materials ($25/100 gals to $500)
For more information go to: www.svwd.org