Results of the 2017 California High School Mountain Bike State Championships race held on May 14, 2017 in Petaluma, CA. Over 800 of the state’s top ranked teenage cyclists, and thousands of their fans that lined the course, were treated to an incredibly competitive mountain bike race. The Hellman Family’s Five Springs Farm welcomed student-athletes from as far south as San Diego, and as far north as Humboldt. It was inspiring to watch these young athletes challenging themselves on the State Championships.
This year was the first time that the NorCal League’s North and South Conferences, and the SoCal League’s A/B/C Conferences had raced against one another.
Girls Varsity State Champion from Ramona High School — Gwendalyn Gibson. Second place 17 seconds behind Gwen, Mina Ricci — Nevada Union Miners team. Clodagh Mellett from Tamalpais took third, Lili Heim from Aptos took fourth in the state and Murrieta Mesa athlete Hayley Richards Murrieta took fifth.
Boys Varsity State Champion was Alexander Sugarman from Annadel Comp. Drake Dylan Fryer from Drake was second, Benjamin Gomez Villafane from Scotts Valley High School took third, Noah Lindenthal from Salinas was fourth and Trevor McCutcheon from Great Oak High School finished fifth.
Scotts Valley High School
- Varsity Boys (65 Started) — 3rd place Benjamin Gomez Villafane
- Varsity Girls (36 Started) — 34th place Hanna Fleming
- Sophomore Boys (79 Started) — 23rd place Ethan Hasenauer • 27th place Connor Austin • 47th place Conor McEntee
- Freshman Girls (44 Started) — 13th place Macy Craft
- Freshman Boys (97 Started) — 72nd place James Thompson
Local High School Team Results
(Division 2 – 90 teams)
- 6th place – Scotts Valley
- 15th Place – Aptos
- 56th Place – St. Francis
- 82nd Place – San Lorenzo Valley
Photo credits: Jared Mickel, John Culp, Arena Reed, Vanessa Hauswald